jueves, 13 de noviembre de 2014

4 Values: Community

For where two or three come together in my name, I am there with them. -Matthew 18:20

Picking that quote was almost too easy. But you won't hear me complaining about that. After all, Jesus doesn't always speak in parables, sometimes he tells it to us straight. Right here, he's telling us that community is where the Kingdom's at. So take notes, and find yourself some community.

Community is in our DNA. And, before my medically-minded friends send me a message that I'm totally wrong about how the human genome works, let me clarify that I mean that statement metaphorically. Homo sapiens are social animals. Way back in the prehistoric times our ancestors formed tribal communities to promote the survival of our species. We couldn't make in this world without at least the micro-community called the family. IWe are designed to live our lives in community of one form or another.


Community in JVC
For the next two years, the intentional community of my JVC house will be the backdrop for everything I experience. We'll be living together, eating together, and sometimes working together. This coming year, my community will consist of 5 individuals. Three of my community-mates are already living in Andahuaylillas. After a year, they will most likely move on from JVC* and the remaining community mate and I will welcome two or three new JVs to take their place. This system of overlapping service means that there are always JVs with experience in the country to offer advice and answer questions about the new environment and culture. Of course no one can have all the answers, but it seems to me to be a good system for managing culture shock. Even though the service lasts for 2 or 3 years, the community is remade each year.

"We cannot come to God without others." -James Martin, SJ

Just two days ago, I met all my community mates on a video conference. These are the people I will be living with, cooking with (which also means cleaning with), praying with. Every week we will have community nights and spirituality nights. We'll make time to hang out together and time to pray together. As members of a Catholic organization, we are called together in Jesus's name. So that means that he'll be present. Maybe, in a way, he'll be like a 6th community-mate. 


*JVs sign up for 2 years of service. However there is the option to apply for a 3rd year if one feels called. One of my community-mates will be in her 3rd year in Andahuaylillas.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario