martes, 16 de febrero de 2016

JV Lent

To me the start of Lent always feels kind of like the start of a New Year – it's a time to feel excited about your new faith-based resultions you're going to definitely implement for the next 40 days. You'll say the rosary every day, give up all the chocolate, and donate money to a different charity every week. By the end of Lent you and Jesus will be so close that you won't even have to knock for the door to be opened, he'll just tell Peter to make a spare key for you.

And then by the third Sunday of Lent you realize that you failed to say your daily rosary at least 6 times already, have eaten 4 Snickers, and only donated money the Friday after Ash Wednesday. So just like the gym membership you signed up for in January, you let the Lenten resolutions slide away and you go back to the usual. No big, Jesus taught that God is forgiving, He'll understand!


Of course that means you're missing out on Lent. That's not what Lent was designed to be. Lent is long for a reason (life is long and takes endurance, so it pays to have some spiritual endurance training each year). It's a time to reflect, to rethink, to repent. It's not about completing personal challenges, it's about spiritual growth.* It's not about avoiding candy, it's about getting closer to God. Lent is Simple Living boot camp – and it's got a simple three-step plan: Prayer, Fasting, and Almsgiving.

I don't want Lent to pass me by anymore than I want to fail any of my 2016 New Year's goals. As I've learned with New Year's goals, it helps to write them down. So I'm writing down my thoughts and intentions for this Lent right here where you can read them. For the next three days I'll focus one post each on Prayer, Fasting, and Almsgiving. I hope they spark some reflection your part.


Wishing a fruitful Lenten journey to all my Catholic readers.

*To put a twist on a well know line from the Gospel. "People were not made for Lent, Lent was made for people."

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario