sábado, 8 de octubre de 2016

Who I Vote For

I voted this week. Being out of the country means I have to email my ballot in, so I figured I wouldn't procrastinate on it.

In the spirit of my post on voting from earlier this year, let me tell you who I was thinking of when I filled out my ballot and voted for Hillary Clinton. Maybe my thoughts will inform yours when you fill out your ballot a month from today.

I voted for myself, a recent college grad with plenty of college debt who is very glad to know that he can stay on his parents' insurance when he comes home from 2 years of volunteering.

I voted for my sister, my mother, my grandmother, and all the women I know and love. A misogynist has no business being their president and setting policies about their lives, wages, and health. Also, I think it would be nice for my grandmother to live to see the first female president of the United States.

I voted for my parish family (remember that I come from Boston's Black Catholic community). They should not have to live under the leadership a racist who believes in unconstitutional police practices such as stop and frisk. They shouldn't have to worry about their lives whenever they see blue flashing lights.

I voted for the “dreamers” I went to school with. They and their families deserve a basic level of respect and a path to full citizenship, the same as plenty of white immigrants from Ireland got in YEAR

I voted for all the undocumented immigrants I have known, from the guys I've met washing dishes at restaurants to the former undocumented immigrant, current US citizen and master bartender who tops my pints of Guinness by writing my name in the foam. I know that those people are part of what has made America great, what does make America great, and what will make America even greater.

I voted for one of my best friends, who is a Muslim. I am not afraid of him and this country should not be afraid of him. He's one of the best Americans I know.

I voted for the refugees in Syria. If saving their lives were as easy as risking poisoning by skittles, I'd eat skittles until my teeth rotted off. Any Christian who has doubts about letting Syrian refugees into our country needs to go back and read the parable of the Good Samaritan. That should settle the question.

I voted for my fellow American citizens. Our nation deserves a strong leader, not a thin skinned callous shallow dip stick who gets real braggadocious.*

I voted for my fellow humans. My government has more power to inflict damage and horror than any other world government. With great power comes great responsibility, and a man who loses a billion dollars is about as far from responsible as one can get.

I voted for my children.** Climate change is real. It will affect my life some; it will affect their lives much more. World leaders are moving too slow, and no candidate will do enough, but at least I'll be able to tell my children that I didn't vote for the guy who believed climate change was all just a hoax.

I voted for American government. It's better that the person in office be someone who knows how to make change happen, albeit slowly, in Washington than that they be completely disinterested in both foreign and domestic policy.

Hillary Clinton got my vote for president, but I wasn't voting for her. I was voting for so many other people. I'll end with this:

Voting for a sexist is a sexist act.
Voting for a racist is a racist act.
Voting for a hateful person is a hateful act.
Voting for a fool is a foolish act.

Election day is one month away. Before you step into the ballot box, take a minute to think about your list. Take a moment to consider your moral obligations to those who are different from you.

Who will you vote for?


*Anyone know the proper spelling of this word. I know it's one of the “best words,” but I can't find it on dictionary.com

**Who don't exist yet. Don't worry, Mom and Dad, I'm not bringing home and tiny, crying surprises.


No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario