miércoles, 22 de julio de 2015

A few more thoughts on Día del Maestro

We celebrated Teachers' Day a few weeks ago now. I have two more thoughts I want to share with you all from that day.

Gifts
At the super fancy staff lunch on Teachers' Day, there were gifts for everyone. But not everyone got the same gifts. The teachers were all given fleece blankets; the support staff were given towels. Theresa and I were given towels.

Events like this one are moments to celebrate the staff community, which in turn is a reminder that we are in impermanent part of the community. We are transient, and therefore not as important. Well I were disappointed to get towels (fleece blankets are much cozier), I believe that if there is to be a difference in levels of gifts, I prefer to receive the gift that is seen as lesser. It reinforces the identification with the poor, with less valued people, that I sought when taking on this commitment.

The feeling's mutual”
Beyond towels, there's the fact of the cheer I got from my students, which was the highlight of the day for me.

In preparation for our upcoming retreat, I listened to an interview with Fr. Greg Boyle, SJ, the founder of Homeboy Industries (LINKS ALL AROUND!). At one point, he tells a story about giving a blessing to one of the Homies. As he lays his hand on the young man's head Fr. Boyle takes advantage of the moment to tell the former gang member how glad he is know him, how proud he is of him, and that he loves him very much... “even though, sometimes you're a real pain in the ass.” The Homie looks up and says “the feeling's mutual.”

My first few months working at FyA 44, I often wondered why the kids were so happy to see me. “Don't they remember how I yelled at them last week?” I wondered, “Don't they expect that it'll happen again today?” I felt like I didn't deserve their love because I was often frustrated with them. Listening to Fr. Boyle's story, I realize something. I realize that if I can love my students even though so many of them frustrate me every single week, they can love me even though I do the same to them. I love the students even though they can be a real pain in the ass. The cheer on Teachers' Day reminded me of what the hugs I get every time I walk into a classroom and the bright greetings I get walking around town after school hours or on weekends have been telling since the first day of school. The feeling's mutual.


No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario