lunes, 26 de octubre de 2015

Pope Francis' Five Finger Prayer

You may have been wondering why I had children painting their hands last week. It's because we were studying Pope Francis' five finger prayer. I don't remember how I bumped into it, but it's been one of the most fun lessons I've taught (and I think the kids learned something too!). Two weeks ago we overviewed the prayer and practiced it. This week they painted their hands into their notebooks and practiced it again.Working with paints was a big hit with the kids (maybe not so much with all the teachers). I was also humbled to read each child's prayer as I graded their work and got some insights into the struggles they see in their lives, the generosity and kindness in their hearts, and the hopes they have for themselves and their families.

If you want to try out the five finger prayer, here's a simple guide:

Source (if you want to see the image larger)
Based on my research, the bishop formerly known as Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio was teaching this prayer long before he came Pope Kick Ass I. It's a beautiful way to pray and remember various people in your life. For me I find it especially helpful to be reminded to pray for our leaders. Just the other night I found myself prayer for Paul Ryan!


No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario