viernes, 29 de abril de 2016

The First Youth Group "Meeting"

The first youth group meeting was scheduled for last Friday. I took the first 10 minutes of every 3rd, 4th, and 5th year religion class to pass out a trifold and explain the idea. In my one-on-ones with students I encouraged them to come. A few told me they would.

I stood outside my office at 3:30 as the dismissal bell rang. I wished students a good weekend as they streamed past. I could even greet many by name!* Soon only a few students were left. It looked like no one was coming. I called a 5th year student over to ask for some ideas about how to get students to come next week. We talked for a few minutes, then she went to talk to her friends.

About 10 minutes later the girl and 5 of her fellow 5th years came up to me.

“Profe, we have happy news and sad news. Which do you want first.”

“The sad news. So that there can be a happy ending.”

“The sad news is that we can't come today, so there won't be any youth group.”

I had already guessed at this. “Oh no! And the good news?”

“The good news is that we are all going to come next week. And we'll make sure to encourage our friends to come with us. AND we'll make an announcement during the morning meeting on Monday.”

I told them that it sounded like a fine idea and promised to give 2 packs of cookies to any of the six of them who brought a friend. Then I had them write their names in my notebook so their commitment would feel more official. I gave them each a pack of cookies** and sent them on their way.

Obviously I'm disappointed that things didn't start last Friday. But I'm hopeful that these students will come through today. I know a few of them and they are the leaders of the school. As students who have studied at this school for as long as 13 years, their word probably carries more weight than mine.

Starting something out of nothing is difficult. This will be the first time the school has had a youth group. I was very nervous when that dismissal bell rang and I watched students stream past my office and out the gates. 2 hours later, when I finished up and walked out the gate myself, I felt hopeful.

*Names are hard for me. Names are harder when you have over 300 of them to learn.

**I have a big box of cookies to hand out as a snack at youth group meetings.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario