jueves, 11 de agosto de 2016

Preparing the Mini-congreso

This weekend I'll be leading a group of 20 high school students to the Mini-congreso (literally "mini-congress") of the the three Fe y Alegría schools in the region of Cusco. It's basically a weekend retreat with the chance for students to develop their leadership skills, reflect on life and their faith, and have fun with other young people. 

As sub co-ordinator of FyA 44's pastoral office, I've been very involved in preparing this. There've been meetings here and meetings at FyA 20 (which is hosting the Mini-congreso). Most of my time at work this week has been devoted to getting things in order so the event will go smoothly. There's been lots of time searching out the 20 invited students reminding them to get their permission slips signed and handed in. 

I'm very excited for the event. I played a minor support role in realizing the mini-congreso last year, and it was fun. It was where I met some of the students who form the core of the youth group. The students are excited too, which is good. 

But I'm also nervous. I'm nervous mainly because I'll be the senior staff member from FyA 44 for most of the weekend. I'll be supported by Karla and Mafer, two of the student teachers from Lima with whom I work. But Hermana Rosario was called away to teach a class in Lima. And Padre Eddy has too much on his plate to be there for more than Saturday evening/Sunday morning. The JV experience is full of the unexpected - and being the point person for an event like this in a different culture and my second language certainly wasn't among the list of things I was expecting. For the first time, I'm starting to understand the Mother Theresa quote my grandmother has on (if I remember correctly) a paperweight on her desk
I know God wouldn't give me anything I couldn't handle, I just wish he didn't trust me so much.
Wish me luck!

2 comentarios:

  1. Ganbatte, or in Ibo, Jisie Ike (I am expanding my repertoire!)

    ResponderBorrar
  2. And there's always the Laurie Hernandez mantra: "I got this" https://twitter.com/hannahbsampson/status/763213627184783360

    ResponderBorrar