miércoles, 10 de diciembre de 2014

Rain, rain, come and stay

Right now it is the rainy season in Andahuaylillas. But the rains only really got started yesterday. Many people were concerned about when the rain would come, and were holding off on planting quinoa. While I have always loved the rain, I have always enjoyed it like a treat... like ice cream. But having grown up in a city, I have only rarely thought about our dependence on rain. Without the right amount of rain at the right time of year crop yields are diminished. In agrarian, humanity's dependence on the natural world is much more obvious. Perhaps that is why people in the country tend to be more religious than people in the city.* In the Boston it is easy to feel independent and above the systems of nature. Here in Andahuaylillas, that illusion is quickly shattered.


*Having spent the past 4 years at a liberal arts university, I feel the need to qualify that statement. I am NOT making a claim, I am only pondering what, to me, is an interesting idea.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario