jueves, 15 de diciembre de 2016

Despedida

Despedida means the act of saying goodbye. It's also the word for a goodbye party. We had ours this past Sunday. We prepared lots of snacks (I made chocolate dipped alfajores) and bought a few bottle of alcohol. Guests made sure the alcohol didn't run out, and the current construction at the parish provided lots of old wood for a bonfire.

I'm interested in the etymology of the word despedir (to say goodbye). Its root is pedir, which means "to ask for." The prefix "Des" is a negative prefix. So, to this native English speaker, despedir means that you aren't asking for anything anymore; you are content with what has been given. According to this source, despedir comes from Latin for "seek away from," as in seeking a new life somewhere else. Both are relevant to my life right now. I am content with what I have received, and I ask for nothing else, and I am seeking something else somewhere else.

We didn't actually say any final goodbyes on Sunday., everyone who came was either a coworker or a neighbor, but it was important to mark the moment and bring together the people who have made this experience so wonderful, and to see all of them together and be reminded that we are loved.


No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario