viernes, 13 de febrero de 2015

Peruvian Mom Patrol Fighting Back Against Cat-calls

Piropeo or cat-calling, is all too common in Peru. I enjoy many aspect of Peruvian culture, but I won't pretend for a minute that it isn't steeped in machismo. Women are regularly cat-called on the streets. It's more common in cities than in the country. When I studied in Lima, the blonde girls in our group had a hard time going anywhere without a man sitting on the corner call out "I lov ju" in poor English (blondes are considered the most attractive in Peru).

But Peruvian women are fighting back. My sister recently sent me a Huffington Post article about Peruvian mothers disguising themselves and walking past their sons on the street in Lima. When the sons cat-call, they reveal themselves and berate their sons. It's deeply gratifying to watch.

Here's to hoping those young men learned something about the right way for a man to treat a woman.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario