martes, 25 de agosto de 2015

Midyear Changes

I know, I know, August isn't midyear. But it is the middle of the Peruvian school year. Besides, my real points is that we've had a lot of changes in the volunteer/religious community here recently.

  • The Belgian volunteers left last month. They moved to Chucuito on lake Titicaca for a new volunteer project. Valerie, who had worked at FyA 44 as the psychologist was a lot of help for me as I got to understand different students and different class dynamics. I'll miss her insights. I wish them luck where they go.
  • The Spanish volunteers in Ocongate, Victor and Marta, moved to Andahuaylillas at the beginning of this month! Marta is working in the psychology department of the elementary school and Victor is working with PERFAL, the Jesuit run rural education project. We're very glad to have them here in Andahuaylillas. I'm looking forward to seeing much more of them now that they live a few blocks away instead of a few hours.
  • Aníbal, the Jesuit deacon who has been helping pastoral at the parish and the school for the last four months, just moved to Madrid for his next round of studies. It's sad to see him go. I really enjoyed working with him, but even more I enjoyed hanging out with him. He has a relaxed attitude and pays attention to the small beauties around him. I wish he could stay longer but his formation is calling. Hopefully our paths cross again.
  • In exchange for sending Aníbal, Madrid sent us José María, a Jesuit brother who will be taking his place in the pastoral work. He will be here until the end of the year. José María has the interesting connection to JVC of having lived with JVs in Tacna. He served in Tacna as a volunteer for VOLPA.* This was long enough ago that the JVs lived with the VOLPAs. The JVs have since moved into their own house which is known as the TacBlock.

All of these comings and goings have reminded me of the comings and goings that will take place in December when we welcome Lauren and Rachel as new JVs and say goodbye to Theresa, Jacqueline, and Victoria as they head back to the States. On top of that Lucia, Victor, and Marta will be leaving in December or January as well. It will be sad to say so many goodbyes to so many good people, so I think it's good that I'm thinking of it already. It will help me to not take these months together for granted and to really live into them as we live them out.


*Lucia, Victor, and Marta's program.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario