lunes, 16 de marzo de 2015

Sourdough Success

If you asked me at any point in the last three years "What do you do?" I would have told you "I'm a baker."

If you asked me the same question today, I'd tell you I'm a Jesuit Volunteer. But that doesn't mean I've left baking behind, I just don't get to do it as much. I've been making bread occassionally since I arrived here in Andahuaylillas, but last week was a special first.

Last week I made my own sourdough starter. I've never made it from scratch before, so I did some research. Most sites I read suggested using the yeast on the skins of grapes. So when the woman we buy vegetables from gave us a bunch of grapes for free two weekends ag I knew it was time to go for it. I fed it carefully everyday after school. And Sunday I made bread with it. I was nervous - this was newish territory for me - but hopeful.

And it worked! So I can make sourdough bread whenever I like. And I can start to explore the world of sourdough products. Like sourdough pancakes. I've heard of them, but never had them. Are they any good? I don't know, but I can make some and find out.

BTW, there are two patron saints of bread. The first is Saint Elizabeth of Hungary. The second is Saint Nicholas (yes, that Saint Nicholas). But despite my Catholic upbringing, Fornax (Roman goddess of the oven) is the first one I think of when it comes to baking.



No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario