viernes, 1 de mayo de 2015

Food Week: Friday - Soup Day

I had a banana in my oatmeal on Friday. I arrived at the school at 8:30, in time to have some of the refrigerio (midmorning snack) that they serve only on Fridays. It's always a hot drink and a packet of galletas. Since I don't have a mug, they served me in my bowl. The drink is ponche de habas which is made with milk, sugar, and powdered habas. It kind of reminds of hot chocolate in the way it makes you feel inside, but the taste is different. I can't think what to compare it to.


Lunch at the school on Friday is one of my least favorite things. It's always arroz con leche (rice with milk) and galletas soda (saltines). It's lots of grains and no veggies. The señoras filled my bowl to the brim saying "this is delicious, have a lot!" I smiled and agreed and thanked them. Then I ate about a half-inch worth of arroz con leche before I couldn't do anymore. I slipped back to the house and dropped the remaining bit into the chancho bucket. Next Friday I'll just bring something to eat so that they don't serve me. 



Friday lunch at the parish is always soup. It seems to be made out of whatever's lying around. The soups are generally satisfying, but they definitely aren't my favorite dish the parish señoras cook. By the way, you might have come to the same conclusion as I have - Friday meals are simpler because there's less resources. It seems like most of the food budget is used up by Thursday afternoon at both the parish and the school. I could be wrong. It could be a cultural thing, but since restaurants in Andahuaylillas serve their standard menus on Fridays I think the financial explanation is more likely.


Friday is my night to cook. I made a rice pilaf with beans, tomatoes, and scallions (called cebello china which means chinese onion). You might have noticed that pretty much everything is eaten with a bowl and spoon. If you didn't, go back and look through the pictures. A bowl and spoon are the standard place settings here. Students bring a small tupperware (called a taper) and spoon for lunch at school. At the parish bowls and spoons are provided. I've gotten used to using a spoon for everything (with the occasional help from my fingers) and it feels perfectly normal now. 



No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario