domingo, 19 de abril de 2015

Birthday

Thanks to everyone who sent me birthday wishes! There were a number of small celebrations to mark the occasion. 

On Friday we had cake at the parish for me and Milagros, one of the administrators, who was also born on the 11th. Most of the parish staff was there. The sang happy birthday in English and Spanish. There's a Peruvian tradition where the birthday person has to try to taste the cake without using their hands and someone else tries to get the frosting on the birthday person's face. Jacqueline got both Milagros and I really good. Most of my beard was covered in frosting.


On Saturday we celebrated at the house. Victoria made the Hill-Driscoll family's traditional sour cream and chocolate chip cake. Victor and Martha came down from Ocongate and María came over to celebrate with us. The other JVs gave me a painting as a gift.


At Mass on Thursday Padre Calilo served a coffee liqueur to toast my health. Then Saturday I went to visit my host family. They surprised me with a gift. I don't even know they knew my birthday had passed.


I remember my birthday in Peru two years ago. It was a hard birthday. I was too focused on what I didn't have, on how far I was from home. This year I saw clearly all that I have here. I'm cared about by many people here. There is much to celebrate, not just my continued non-death, but my full life.   

2 comentarios:

  1. A toast to your "continued non-death." Long may it reign!

    Or, in the words of Pitbull:

    "Every day above ground is a good day. Remember that."

    With hugs from RI,
    Tio Miguel

    ResponderBorrar